Monday, July 31, 2023

A Weekend In the Life

In honor of my first "three-day weekend", I thought I would do a Day in the Life format for this post. I tried really, really hard to document my days in photos, but, at the end of the day; I may have failed to adequately capture the full extent of my time. I'm ok with that, and I doubt very seriously that anyone else gives a flying fuck, so, here we go.

Friday morning, I managed to sleep in for about an hour before getting up to feed the pets. I ran to the hardware store to get the daily receipts done before heading back home to finish my coffee on the porch. I intended to relax with a couple of magazines, but the call of the garden was too much to resist, so I cut my magazine browsing short. 

As I was gloving up to deal with squash bugs, Hugh arrived home with my most recent online shopping purchase, so I set aside my gardening long enough to open the package so that we could make sure my purchase had arrived undamaged.

It's a horse skeleton, people! Can you tell how excited Hugh was about this purchase? Ha! More on this in about a month or so, when it makes its debut on the front lawn.

Interestingly, this is the last picture I took on Friday. I went into Hooterville for a reflexology massage and the rest of the day is kind of a blur. I believe a nap was involved. Anyway, it was a great way to spend my first Friday off, even if it was a little odd (I kept waiting for the phone to ring as well as fighting a nagging feeling that I should be working. I'm sure I'll get better at this as time goes on).

Saturday morning, I started the day with coffee and an episode of The Pioneer Woman, as one does.

Then I headed out to the garden, where I harvested a number of tomatoes, a few jalapenos, and a lone cucumber. As an aside, my cucumber plants are gorgeous; they just aren't producing.

I have a ton of green tomatoes, which will make for an interesting harvest, should they all ripen at once. Boomer dog wouldn't mind that, actually. He loves him some tomato.

After I washed the garden haul, I started on the rest of my Saturday To Do list, which included wrapping the gift for Kaley's baby shower...

..testing the champagne fountain that I'll be using for Mia's shower...

...washing some old jars to repurpose as dog treat containers (the "treats" in this case being the glucosamine supplements and allergy meds that Boomer dog takes)...

...and doing a deep-clean of the downstairs, which included steaming the wood floors, which is one of my least favorite chores.

Once the house was pristine, I pulled out the garden tomatoes and made a quick Burata salad while Hugh popped some frozen broccoli stuffed chicken breasts into the air fryer. It made for a quick and tasty dinner on the porch (also, Burrata completely confused Hugh; is it ricotta? Cottage cheese? "What the hell, Chelle? It looks like mozzarella, but it's... runny!" He still ate it).

Sunday morning, I spent some time in the garden, just enjoying the cooler temperatures and the hummingbirds flitting around the feeders. 

While I was in there, I harvested a few more tomatoes (the Asian Pink Egg variety has been a pleasant surprise; extra tasty!), some beets, and a few more jalapenos, which I used in the Korean pork street tacos that I made in the crockpot for dinner later.

Then, I went to the hardware store to run payroll before returning home to address the invitations to Erin and Kristi's upcoming Bon Voyage party.

Once that was done, I mixed up the cabbage slaw that goes on top of the street tacos. The recipe calls for brown sugar in both the sauce that the pork cooks in and the slaw. I recently purchased a set of containers that included this one for brown sugar and, I have to say, I am impressed. The terra cotta disk and the airtight seal of the container keep the brown sugar soft. I wish I'd had this years ago because I have thrown out more than my fair share of rock-hard brown sugar.

Mom, the Man-Cub, and Shanti all came over for dinner, so we loaded up plates with tacos and enjoyed them on the porch.


Once everyone left, I downloaded the pictures I had taken of the hummingbirds and I called it a night. In hindsight, it doesn't seem like that busy of a weekend, but, I felt like I accomplished quite a bit, so I'll take it.

The next few weekends are going to be jam-packed with social events, so I might not get another chance to just chill out for any length of time, and, while I am definitely looking forward to all of the fun we are going to have; I'll miss the chance to recharge.

Thankful that I had that opportunity this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment