Thursday, October 15, 2009
Thursday Thirteen, Edition Twenty:
Thirteen Places I Have Been
1. Seattle/Gig Harbor, Washington. I went to visit my sister Barbie shortly after my nephew was born. Gig Harbor is absolutely beautiful and Pike Place Market in Seattle was a fabulous place to experience, especially with my sister whose company I enjoy.
2. Nova Scotia. Hugh, the kids and I visited my brother and sister-in-law for our nephew’s baptism while brother-in-law was stationed in Canada. The Teenager was probably seven or eight at the time yet managed to eat a lobster roughly half her size there.
3. Honolulu, Hawaii. Family vacation when I was a senior in high school. Hawaii is gorgeous and amazing and breathtaking but, it was my mom who made the trip memorable.
4. Mazatlan, Mexico. Spring Break 1990. My college roommates had managed to finagle a practically free trip for the five of us and, from what I can remember, we had a great time. Oh, there was that minor incident wherein we accidentally dropped one of my roommates on her head in a fountain but, she was unconscious before she hit her head so, it was all good. I love Girl Trips.
5. Washington DC. Our nation’s capitol and a must-see for every American.
6. Portland, Oregon. I was on a business trip and my sister Barbie drove from Washington to spend a couple of days with me. We shopped, ate bad things and drank enough Starbucks coffee to float a boat. Good times.
7. Key West, Florida. When The Teenager was six months old, we flew to Florida to introduce her to Hugh’s grandmother who lived in Ft. Lauderdale. While we were there, we borrowed Grandma’s car and drove to the keys. Driving across the Intercostals highway was a neat experience.
8. Sante Fe, New Mexico. New Mexico was practically in my back yard while I was growing up and after Hugh and I were married we would take weekend trips to Sante Fe or Taos. The art galleries alone were worth the trip but the food was to die for.
9. Bridgetown, Barbados. Hugh and I spent our anniversary on the island last year, swimming in the warmest water I have ever felt, drinking afternoon tea sweetened with syrup and snorkeling with sea turtles. I want to go back again one day.
10. New Orleans, Louisiana. We’ve actually visited The Big Easy twice now, once pre-Katrina and once after. It’s a gorgeous city and the people are quite interesting. No wonder Brangelina bought real estate there.
11. Brunswick, Maine. Hugh’s brother’s family settled there once his time in the service was up. It’s a quaint little town and I can see why they love it so much.
12. Sedona, Arizona. If red rock formations, dessert sands and price gouging are your thing, Sedona is the place for you.
13. Chicago, Illinois. Hugh’s sister and her family live in a suburb of Chicago and we have visited them a number of times over the years but my favorite visit was one I took without Hugh. In October of 1994, Emily and I flew out to attend my sister-in-law’s bridal shower. We got to attend one of the fittings for my sister-in-law’s dress, did some shopping and sight-seeing and spent time with my sister-in-law’s girlfriends who were gracious and entertaining. It was a neat trip and, in case I haven't mentioned it before, I love Girl Trips.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!
Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants